Head of Legal
We are looking for a pro-active and resourceful corporate or commercial lawyer to join our team as Head of Legal. This is an opportunity to play a vital role in a key area of the business and develop in-depth knowledge of the equity crowdfunding industry in one of the UK's leading FinTech startups. You will also have management responsibilities of a small team of corporate and commercial lawyers.
Who we are :
Crowdcube is the world's leading equity crowdfunding platform. We enable everyday investors to invest alongside Europe’s venture capitalists and professional investors in start-up, early stage and growth businesses; in doing so we're enabling entrepreneurs to raise funds for their businesses.
We have experienced year on year growth since 2011 and we have over 400,000 registered users and over 550 British businesses have successfully funded on the platform, including Brewdog, Monzo, Eden Project and many more.
We are backed by Balderton Capital, Numis and Draper Esprit.
What you will be doing:
As Head of Legal, reporting into the General Counsel, you will have the opportunity to work on an array of corporate matters, commercial contracts and compliance matters. We are looking for a candidate with experience and knowledge of the many facets of company finance and with previous management experience.
The role will be very varied but the key tasks will be:
- Managing, mentoring and coaching a team of corporate and commercial lawyers.
- Managing corporate documentation, including Articles of Association and Shareholder Agreements, prospectuses and fund documentation required by companies raising funding on the platform, and negotiating corporate transactions with venture capital and retail investors.
- Ensuring compliance with FCA rules and the laws applicable to our online investments marketplace including the review of new products; as well as marketing and social media.
- Working with the investments team to carry out due diligence and prepare investee companies for fund raising and to close fund raising on crowdcube.com.
- Drafting and negotiating an array of commercial, employment and data agreements
- Pro-actively developing internal processes alongside other key stakeholders and taking ownership of key entrepreneur relationships.
- Ensuring compliance with Companies Act 2006 and other laws relevant to Crowdcube’s online and financial activities.
- Preparation of internal and external reporting.
- Preparation of corporate governance documentation (Articles of Association, board minutes, shareholder agreements) for companies who have raised money via Crowdcube including managing completions.
To be an ideal candidate for this role, you will have:
- At least 3 years' corporate or commercial experience gained in a leading law firm and/or in-house
- Experience of managing a small team
- Corporate finance, corporate governance and company secretarial experience
- Understanding of FCA rules regarding financial promotions and application to online business
- Understanding of internet laws, data protection and intellectual property
- Good mathematical and excel skills are important as is an understanding of share cap tables
- Any understanding of Crowdfunding is advantageous
- Knowledge or awareness of SEIS and EIS tax schemes will be an advantage
You need to show us that you’ve got the following strengths:
- People management and leadership; you can motivate, delegate, and develop a team of lawyers to reach their full potential. You give clear direction, provide a listening ear when the pressure is on.
- Strategic thinking and commercial understanding of business; you keep your finger on the pulse and are pro-active in making innovative suggestions to find ways of improving our process or working on a complex deal.
- Communication: you have excellent written and oral communication skills; you are persuasive but you are also a good listener and show empathy. You have the ability to build solid working relationships both inside and outside the business.
- Analytical: you tackle a problem in a logical, informed manner; you weigh up all elements before making a decision, and have a keen eye for inconsistencies.
- Start-up DNA: be resilient, gets things done, 80/20, are comfortable with uncertainty, adaptable to change, used to working in a fast-paced and ever changing environment and know when to fight for the right thing and when to say no.
What we are offering:
We like to nurture talent and want to ensure members of our team keep developing and honing their skills. As such we offer subscriptions to online courses for instance, support participation in hackathons, attending conferences and training because we believe in using the right tools for the job and that may involve spending time learning them along the way. We’re a growing team and we’re a passionate hard working team but we also like to take care of our team:
- Competitive salary
- 25 days holiday + bank holidays
- Pension Scheme at 4% matched
- Private Medical Scheme with AXA
- Life Insurance Scheme
- Conferences and training budget
- Cycle to Work Scheme
- Childcare vouchers
- Weekly demos to show what we're working on, monthly team meetings and bi-monthly company socials.
- Company perks such as juices, fruit, snacks and of course office beers (Or cider)
- Company trips and activities such as pilates, running, cricket, BBQs, camping and more...
Our policy is to employ the best qualified people and provide equal opportunity for the advancement of employees including promotion and training and not to discriminate against any person because of gender, race, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religion, belief or disability.